Homicide: #53/2008

To the Toronto Homicide Squad he is known as Homicide: #53/2008; to those of us that knew and loved him he is Boris Cikovic. A beautiful boy that had the ability to make anyone smile by just walking into a room, the son of Vesna and Davorin Cikovic…their only son. To me he is the handsome boy that all the girls had a crush on at some point while they were growing up, the boy that would come to our place and eat just about everything you put in front of him, the boy that would ask me to mousse and diffuse his hair, would eat my daughter’s crayons and my dog’s treats…the boy that would come by our place daily and bring life into our home along with him.

Boris was taken from us very abruptly one night by a bunch of low-life delinquents that had nothing better to do but walk around looking for trouble. One of these parasites of society is named Nahoor Araya, he was identified to be there this very tragic night and it has been  court date after painful court date for Boris’ parents and friends. We have all had to sit back and watch as this individual has been allowed to be a part of everyday society on bail without a care in the world. He has been attending Humber College along with Boris’ friends who have to bump into him in the hallways and on shared public transportation. Which by the way violates his probation…but you know, who cares right?….Right.

It saddens me to see the changes in all the kids that have had to deal with his passing, not to mention the pain in his parents and any other parent that can empathize with losing a child. I also have to admire the resilience in them though for putting up with this shitty legal system. Its frustrating to see the kind of shit people get away with in the courts. I truly hope these parents find some peace in knowing that their son’s killer and all those involved will one day face some sort of punishment…like making them play in traffic perhaps?



One thought on “Homicide: #53/2008

  1. Reblogged this on Mafa's World and commented:

    5 years later and this is where we are:


    Boris Cikovic. (Suppplied photo)

    Five years after Boris Cikovic’s parents and friends were devastated by the senseless shooting of the popular teen in a west-end park, their painful legal odyssey is still not done.
    Nor is that of the young man who insists he had nothing to do with his death.
    In November 2011, a jury found Humber College student Nahoor Araya guilty of manslaughter. While not the shooter, they believed he was part of the armed gang that robbed the 17-year-old at Buttonwood Park on the night of Oct. 3, 2008.
    Sentenced to eight years in prison, Araya has been free on bail ever since, pending his appeal that’s to be heard Friday.
    “I’m so beaten up, nothing will surprise me,” says Cikovic’s weary father, Davorin.
    Once again, as he maintained at his trial, Araya insists in documents filed with the appeal court that he was with his girlfriend that night and not at the park near Scarlett Rd. and Eglinton Ave. W. where the shooting occurred. And he maintains that his confession to his high school teacher about being at the scene was just a fabrication.
    No one could identify Araya as one of the robbers that night. Instead, it was his statement to his Silverthorn Collegiate teacher, Codel Browne, that he was there when his friends decided to “roll up on some kids” that formed the centrepiece of the Crown’s case against him.
    Cikovic and about 16 friends were drinking and smoking on the bleachers of the park’s tennis court when they were robbed by three or four teens wearing bandanas and hoodies and pointing guns at their heads.
    When one of the bandits hit Cikovic in the face with a gun and grabbed his backpack, the teen fired his Taser and gave chase. The armed robber fired one warning shot from a .45 revolver and aimed the second at Cikovic’s abdomen. He died soon after in hospital of massive blood loss.
    None of his friends could identify the assailants except to give vague descriptions that they were young black males. The police were stymied.
    But four days later, a frantic Araya pulled his favourite teacher out of his English class because he needed his advice. According to Browne, the 18-year-old asked him if he’d heard about what happened over the weekend. When the teacher asked if he was referring to the murder at Buttonwood Park, Araya said he was and then tearfully said, “I just want to let you know I was there but I didn’t do it” and that “someone got shot, but I didn’t do it. I was there, I was involved but I didn’t do it. I didn’t have the gun.”
    He wanted to know what to do. Browne told him to “man up” and turn himself in and warned that he would have to report their conversation. Araya was charged with second-degree murder.
    No one else has ever been arrested for killing the only child of Vesna and Davorin Cikovic.
    At his trial, the Crown conceded that Araya wasn’t the gunman but argued that he’d admitted participating in the armed robbery and that made him a party to the murder. But the accused killer took the stand in his own defence and told the jury that he wasn’t at the park that night, that his “confession” about being at the robbery was just a plea for help.
    Araya testified that he’d been depressed about being homeless and living in a shelter and so he made up his panicked story to win his teacher’s sympathy and get him to offer him a place to stay.
    The jury didn’t buy it — but they convicted him of manslaughter rather than murder.
    Araya’s lawyer Michael Lacy raises nine grounds of appeal, two against the “harsh and excessive” sentence while the rest contend that Justice John McMahon made errors that require a new trial. In its factum filed with the court, the Crown argues there were no errors made and Araya’s conviction and sentence must stand.
    Whatever the appeal court decides, it is likely a decision that is months in the future. And still more time that no one pays for the senseless death of a 17-year-old boy.
    Cikovic’s father will be at Osgoode Hall Friday to hear Araya’s appeal but his wife will not. She has moved back to their native Croatia where their only child’s ashes have been buried.
    “She couldn’t stand it anymore,” he said. “It’s almost five years now and after all this time, we still don’t know who the actual murderer is and the only one convicted is happily out on bail.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s